When you make a basketball shot through the net, throw it against the backboard, and it bounces a million times, you know it’s been thumped all over the floor. Why don’t we spend some time to know how bad basketball is and how much dirt it is carrying? Do you, on the other hand, know how to clean a basketball?
Due to the volume of excessive wear, a basketball gets while in usage, it is often subjected to various debris and microbes. If the basketball is not cleaned efficiently, it can be hard to hold it and make your hands dirty. Cleaning it will prevent you from practicing with a filthy basketball and extend your basketball life.
- Materials needed to clean a basketball 2022:
- For rubber basketball:
- For leather basketball:
- Cleaning of the basketball:
- v For rubber basketball:
- 1. Arrange your cleaning area in the open air:
- 2. Remove tiny marks with a gentle eraser:
- 3. Scrub the entire surface of the wet ball:
- 4. Scrub the ball even more with soap:
- 5. Rinse and clean the ball with freshwater:
- 6. Drying of the ball:
- v For leather basketball:
- 1) Monitor the pressure in your ball to make sure it’s accurate:
- 2) Invest in a leather-cleaning product:
- 3) Rubbing of the leather cleaner on the ball:
- 4) Storage of the leather ball:
- Related Buyer’s Guide:
Materials needed to clean a basketball 2022:
Here is a list of the materials that you need to clean a basketball. These are as follows:
For rubber basketball:
- A scrub brush
- Washing powder
- Hot and cold water
- Hand gloves
- A bucket
- A wet towel or cloth
- Elbow grease
For leather basketball:
- A piece of soft cloth
- Leather cleaner
Cleaning of the basketball:
v For rubber basketball:
If you have a rubber basketball, then follow the procedure explained below.
1. Arrange your cleaning area in the open air:
You need to do all this cleaning of your basketball in the open space where it can get wet and has access to fresh water. You must use a tub or basket that will suit the basketball according to its size.
Washing a basketball with a 5-gallon bucket is easy since the ball fits comfortably in the bucket. It can be used as a wash bucket.
After having a game with this basketball, quickly sanitize it by placing it in a tub and spraying it with disinfectant.
2. Remove tiny marks with a gentle eraser:
Use the eraser as you would on a sheet of paper to remove pencil traces. Use the eraser on the discolored area of the surface. If it leaves pieces on the basketball’s surface, wipe them away with a small brush.
3. Scrub the entire surface of the wet ball:
Scrub with only the brush and also some water at first. Please pay special attention to places where the ball has many dust and smudges trapped in it. When scrubbing is done, rinse the areas with fresh water in a bucket or with a pipe. It will be helpful for you in determining whether or not you are cleaning areas properly.
4. Scrub the ball even more with soap:
It would help if you had some drops of liquid soap. It will aid in the removal of resistant dust and debris.
You will need to make the ball stay with the detergent or soap and water on it for a few moments before rinsing it, focusing on how dusty or dirty it is. It will help remove the dirt and dust if you put it in a bucket of a mixture of water and soap.
5. Rinse and clean the ball with freshwater:
It’s important to remove all of the soap from the ball until it’s as clear as you want or can make it. Wash with clear water several times, so no soap substance is left there. You may use a pipe or a tub to clean the ball.
If you’re going to use a pipe/hose to clean the ball, make sure to use the spraying function.
Having left soap on the ball will make the outer layer sticky and allow the ball to start picking up some dust the next time you use it.
6. Drying of the ball:
Before placing or using the ball away:
- Make sure it is completely dry.
- Keep wiping down the complete area of the ball with your clean, dry rag.
- Allow the ball to dry outside for a couple of hours if any humidity remains.
When the ball is clean and dry, please keep it in a cool, dry place as normal.
v For leather basketball:
For those who use a leather basketball, kindly follow this procedure:
1) Monitor the pressure in your ball to make sure it’s accurate:
It’s essential to extend the leather to the correct pressure when washing a leather ball so that it remains that way while it gets dry. Try to take the time to fully inflate your ball while cleaning it if it is slightly deflated.
The correct inflation relies on the type of ball you have. Usually, the aim is to inflate it to the point that it bounces back two-thirds of the range you dropped it from. If you fall it from a height of 3 feet, for instance, the ball can bounce back 2 feet.
2) Invest in a leather-cleaning product:
These can be found in the leather care and cleaning department of most large stores and online stores. There are leather-cleaning soaps that have been specially formulated.
Leather cleaners come with a wide variety of options. Ensure your product is labeled as a “leather cleaner” or “leather shampoo.”
On your ball, stop using leather creams. Essentially, any material that claims to soften leather is a not-to-buy thing.
3) Rubbing of the leather cleaner on the ball:
With a rag, you need to first spread and then rub the leather cleaner on the ball. Place a generous amount of the leather cleaner on a rag and gently massage the ball’s top. If there are some particularly filthy places, use more cleansers and massage the surface until the soil is removed.
Go over the entire ball’s surface. Even if a place does not appear to be particularly filthy, it could benefit from a thorough cleaning.
Quickly dry the ball’s surface. Using a dry cloth, wipe away any residual cleaner from the floor. It’s good to leave the cleanser on the ball during the cleaning process, but it must be completely removed once you’re finished.
For drying your leather ball, do not employ a hairdryer or any other heating device.
4) Storage of the leather ball:
Keep the ball somewhere cool and dry. To hold leather balls in good shape, they must be stored properly. If it is placed in a hot environment, it will dry out and break. It must, however, be held in a dry environment to avoid being affected by moisture.
The balls should be kept out of bright sunlight to prevent the leather from drying out too easily.
Cleaning a basketball is a simple process. Cleaning your basketball will make it look brand new, which will improve your trust. Cleaning a basketball often prevents you from acquiring infectious diseases. So whether you have a leather or a rubber basketball, I have explained all the queries of how to clean a basketball.
- Is it okay to wash a basketball?
It’s totally fine to wash your basketball as you wash your hands. But it’s very important to rinse off rigorously all the residues of soap. Each type of basketball may take a different time to be dried.
- How do I make my basketball sticky again?
If you have a damp towel you can put your hands on it. Rub your hands together and make them wet, not extra wet. You will be able to really grip that basketball much better.
- What happens when a basketball gets wet?
Wet weather or gleam, cold or hot, neither outdoor nor indoor basketballs should be abandon in extraordinary conditions. Any type of dampness can destroy the quality of basketball. Extreme temperatures can also misshape your basketball and affect performance.
- How do you take care of a basketball?
- Keep away from extreme temperatures i.e. heat, cold, direct sunlight, rain, etc.
- Keep at room temperature.
- After playing with your basketball, always clean it with a wet cloth.
- For cleaning, use lukewarm water and lucent soap.
- Never soak.
- Always keep a good amount of air in basketball.
- Always use your basketball for its desired purpose.